Monday, September 21, 2009

A thousand splendid suns

A man's heart is a wretched wretched thing, Mariam. It isn't like a mother's womb. It won't bleed, it won't stretch to make room for you.I'm the only one who loves you. I'm all you have in this world Mariam,and when I'm gone you'll have nothing. You'll have nothing. You arenothing.


An innocent daughter caught by the charm of her father, who throws a deaf ear to the above words is later entangled in twists of life. Helplessness, void of not being loved, unable to do anything, she meets another soul equally caught in the web of life.Finally as some one I know quoted ' Be the spider in the web, but not theinsect caught in the web' the former woman ends her life long miserypaving her way for eternal darkness and eternal happiness for the latter.
Writen very vivid, not prolonging unlike his previous book (Kiterunner)Khaled does an amazing job untangling the story.The story folds and unfolds right from the first chapter.And it is not untill you come to the end of the capter that the mysteryunravels itself and pulls tighter knots in your stomach.But somewhere down the pages, the reader is conditioned to see what's coming. But again, the reader's ravenous appetite is justified by a proper meal with unexpected events.
All in all a very feminine story ( I should have predicted itas it was dedicated to Afghan women) unlike his previous book.
An interesting read, though I was little disappointed with the ending.I was, you need not be.
I like: The style and flow
I do not like: The story ends a lot before than you realise. Why are your ends prolonged Mr.Khaled?Why??????????

1 comment:

Mural! said...

haven't yet read it, though the book sounds pretty interesting!